Sunday, December 23, 2007

Rolo Cookies and Chocolate Dipped Pretzels

Rolo Cookies and Chocolate Dipped Pretzel Rods for the Cookie Plates this year.

For those of you interested in some healthy recipes: I promise I'll be back to soups and stews and hearty meals soon. This time of year gets me. Sweets. And, this recipe has ingredients that I don't, as a general rule, eat. The rolos have all manner of high fructose corn syrup-y things that I abhor. This time of year, well, I let it slide a tiny bit. We'll survive!

I've just barely made it happen. 4 kinds of treats this year. All wrapped up and pretty. I wanted to do gingerbread people and sugar cookies with Abby, but we'll just have to do it after Christmas and make it a New Year's tradition!
The rolo cookies should really be classified as a candy since that's what's inside. Our friend Anne makes these by the seeming hundreds. She commented on my last post with this advice to keep me from eating them all: "I have a trick for making rolo cookies less dangerous (tempting). Make them your signature cookie. Bake them all the time. This works especially well if you have a bunch of college kids to bake for."
Unfortunately, I don't have a bunch of college kids to bake for and if I baked them all the time, I'd eat them all the time! HA! Thanks for letting me take over this tradition Anne, we miss you out here.
I baked them in tiny muffin cups because I didn't have parchment paper on hand. It makes them look festive and less like a cookie that you could eat 25 of and more like a candy that you can eat 25 of. . .normal people only eat a couple. I guess I'm not normal. They are so tasty, I can't stop! I made another batch for gifts and wrapped them up in cellophane as soon as they were done cooling to keep myself from eating them. That worked.

So, the recipe:

Rolo Chocolate Cookies

4 packages rolo chocolates (about 8 pieces in each roll)
1 cup all purpose flour
½ cup cocoa powder
½ tsp. baking powder
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
¼ cup granulated sugar (optional) I don't think this is optional

Steps:

Place ROLOS in freezer for at least 6 hours. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa and baking powder until combined and no lumps remain. In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in brown sugar and vanilla, then egg, until smooth. Stir flour mixture into butter mixture until just combined. Let dough stand for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350°F (180oC). With hands, roll 1 tbsp (15 ml) of dough for each cookie into balls and place on a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. If using, place granulated sugar in a shallow dish. Bake no more than 15 cookies at a time and remove 1 package of ROLOS at a time from the freezer. Press each ball of dough into about a 2-inch (5 cm) circle. Place a ROLO in centre; wrap dough around ROLO so it is evenly covered. Seal well so there are no cracks. Roll into a ball. Roll in sugar, if desired. Place about 2 inches (5 cm) apart on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake in centre of oven for about 8 minutes or until dry to the touch. Cool on sheet on rack.

Makes about 40 cookies. (I only get about 32 cookies. . . no matter how I try to get 40!).

Nutrients per cookie:

About 95 Calories, 1 g Protein, 4 g Fat, 14 g Carbohydrates.

1 comment:

Mallow said...

Crud...I know I am going to have to make some of these - they sound way too good. (When did you get that sunshine?!)