Thursday, December 20, 2007

Ginger Brandy Cookies


Day 3 of the one batch a day plan. Day 2 was Rolo Chocolate cookies. We ate them all. ALL of THEM. There were 40! Oh my. I can't even admit to how many people have been through my house to help Tom and I. It was a VERY small number of people. And, add the fact that Tom was gone through most of the time they were here and add too that I didn't let Abby have any. That means that I am about 25 rolo cookies bigger. I'll make another batch and take photos and then post the recipe.

So, Ginger Brandy Cookies from Moosewood Restaurant Book of Desserts.
My only note: don't roll the cookies in the sugar. . . just use a sifter or a small tea ball to sprinkle the sugar on. It's easier and makes for less pasty powdered sugar on the cookies.


Ginger Brandy Cookies
(yields 48)

Dough:
1/2 c. butter, at room temperature
2/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. unsulphured molasses
1 egg
2 c. unbleached white flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tblsp. ground ginger
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
2 Tblsp. brandy

Topping:
3 Tblsp. confectioners' sugar

With an electric mixer or food processor, cream the butter and
2/3 c. of the sugar until light and well blended. Add molasses
and egg and beat well. In separate bowl sift flour, salt, baking
soda, ginger, cinnamon and cloves. Alternate adding the dry
ingredients and brandy to the wet ingredients, stirring well after
each addition. Form dough into a ball and chill for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray or oil baking sheets.

Spread the topping sugar on a plate. Shape dough into
1-inch balls, roll each ball in sugar, and place on
baking sheets. Bake for about 12 minutes, until just
firm and a bit crisp around the edges. Remove cookies to
a rack and let cool.

3 comments:

Mallow said...

Ooo...those sound yummy...
25 rolo chocolate cookies? You're giving me a run for the money - I only ate 15 Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies on Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Carrie- I have been reading your blog and fondly remembering PA. I have a trick for making rolo cookies less dangerous (tempting). Make them your signature cookie. Bake them all the time. This works especially well if you have a bunch of college kids to bake for. The ginger brandy cookies look wonderful. I'll have to try them soon. -Anne

Carrie said...

Anne! When Tom saw the recipe for the rolo cookies out on the counter, he said, "Anne's Rolo Cookies?" eyes all wide and wild. He LOVES them.
I did another batch and left a dozen in the oven for a bit too long. That's a bummer.
I have every intention of giving you credit when I post the recipe. . . soooo tasty! Hope you are well, and e-mail me your address so I can say "hi" directly!