Sunday, December 02, 2007

Brad's Kick *ss Chili


A long time ago, before we had kids, my dear friends Kate and Jamie had us join them on an amazing sail boat in the Virgin Islands for almost 2 weeks. We sailed, we ate, we drank, we had no idea how lucky we were. Now that I have a child, I sometimes LONG for those moments with the wind in my hair and the blue-green water. I'd even take the seasickness on some days. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being a parent, but oh, the sea. The sun. The alone time. The chili.

Now, I might be wrong, but I do believe it was on this trip that I first had this chili. I know it was Kate and Jamie who gave me the recipe because they got the recipe from Kate's brother Brad. Jamie likes it so much he calls it "Brad's Kick Ass Chili". I never found out where the recipe actually came from, so, here, the Kick ass chili.

Brad's "Kick Ass" Chili

1 large red onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 Red pepper chopped
2 celery ribs chopped
2 large carrots chopped
1 14.5 ounce can Italian stewed tomatoes (I just use diced tomatoes, fresh or canned)
2 Tbl. chili powder (less if you want kids to eat it)
2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp basil
2 med. zucchini chopped
16 oz. frozen corn ( or corn off the cob)
1 can kidney beans, rinsed
1 can black beans, rinsed
1/2 tsp salt
cayenne to taste (omit for kids)
sour cream or plain yogurt and cheddar to garnish

Saute onions and garlic until soft. Add pepper, carrot, celery and cook 5 min.
Add tomatoes, chili powder and cumin. Cook and reduce for about 25 min.
Add the rest and cook covered for 10 minutes more.
Serve over rice pilaf with sour cream and cheddar cheese.

Oh, and the cornbread!
Buttermilk Skillet Corn Bread
from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison

1 tbs. butter
1 cup flour
1 cup stone-ground white or yellow cornmeal
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
2 Tbls. sugar or honey
2 cups buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the butter in a 10 inch cast iron skillet and place in the oven while you get everything else together. Sift the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix the eggs, sugar, and buttermilk in another. Remove the ban from the oven, brush the butter over the sides, then pour the rest into the wet ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, and stir long enough to make a smooth batter. Pour the batter into the hot pan and bake until lightly browned and springy to the touch. 25-30 min.

3 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

What a hearty veggie meal. It's getting really cold here now, so I need to stock up on some warm-me-up meals.

Carrie said...

Thanks Kelly,
I really like this meal. It's a "stick to your ribs" sort of veggie feast. Stay warm!

Michael Anglican said...

Hello, I have a friend in Port Angeles. She's newly arrived there and trying to find white corn meal. Can you tell me where to tell her to find it?
Thanks,
Michael